What is Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails is one excellent way for developing websites. In fact, Ruby on Rails (RoR), is a dynamic programming system that is specifically designed to help one make a website very quickly. It is battle tested and proven by big web companies such as Twitter, Amazon, twitch and so much more. Everything in Rails is designed to make everything in your life as the developer easier. Unlike other languages, Ruby on Rails makes assumptions for you, helping to cut down on coding time.
Basics of Ruby on Rails
Ruby is a programming language. It was created 20 years ago by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto. By most measures of programming language popularity. Overall, Ruby ranks among the top ten; usually as tenth (or so) in popularity, though, and largely due to the popularity of Rails. Like Java or the C language, Ruby is a general-purpose programming language, though it is best known for its use in web programming. The ruby on rails framework is based upon MVC design pattern which is a Model View Controller pattern. This design principle divides the work of an application into three separate layers. Where the presentation to the client is handled by views, the database communication is handled by the model layer, and the controller is used for communication between these two layers, which handles requests from clients and users.
Rails is a built open ruby language which is a dynamic programming language. So, the basic advantage of rails comes by the usage of this language because ruby makes life easier to do metaprogramming. Why do you ask? Well, one of the top three things Rails excels in its through MVC (Model View Controller), Convention, Over Configuration, and DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself).
Rails version 2.3
Version 2.3 was released on March 15, 2009, with major new developments in templates, engines, Rack and nested model forms. Templates enable the developer to generate a skeleton application with custom gems and configurations. Engines give developers the ability to reuse application pieces complete with routes, view paths, and models. The Rack web server interface and Metal allow one to write optimized pieces of code that route around Action Controller.
Rails 3.0 release
On December 23, 2008, Merb, another web application framework, was launched, and Ruby on Rails announced it would work with the Merb project to bring “the best ideas of Merb” into Rails 3, ending the “unnecessary duplication” across both communities. Merb was merged with Rails as part of the Rails 3.0 release.
Version 3.2 was released on January 20, 2012, with a faster development mode and routing engine (also known as Journey engine), Automatic Query Explain and Tagged Logging. Rails 3.2.x is the last version that supports Ruby 1.8.7. Rails 3.2.12 supports Ruby 2.0.
- 4.0 was released on June 25, 2013, introducing Russian Doll Caching, Turbolinks, Live Streaming as well as making Active Resource, Active Record Observer and other components optional by splitting them as gems.
- 4.1 was released on April 8, 2014, introducing Spring, Variants, Enums, Mailer previews, and secrets.yml.
- 4.2 was released on December 19, 2014, introducing Active Job, asynchronous emails, Adequate Record, Web Console, and foreign keys.
- 5.0 was released on June 30, 2016, introducing Action Cable, API mode, and Turbolinks 5.
MVC or Model View Controller models are ruby classes that handle the business logic and do the heavy lifting of the application or in simple terms the flow of your application. The Ruby on Rails framework is based upon an MVC design pattern which is a Model View Controller pattern. This design principle divides the work of an application into three separate layers where the presentation to the client is handled by views, the database communication is handled by the model layer and the controller is used for communication between these two layers and handle requests from clients and users.
- Models – are Ruby classes that handle the business logic and o the heavy lifting of the application. They talk with the database and validate data for you.
- Views – is what you the developer will physically see in the front end. They are templated from the model that render your application. Basically, its what the users sees and interacts with.
- Controller – sits in between Model and View that handle requests and initiate changes into your model. A server-side component of Rails that responds to external requests from the web server to the application, by determining which view file to render.
The controller may also have to query one or more models for information and pass these on to the view. For example, “in an airline reservation system, a controller implementing a flight-search function would need to query a model representing individual flights to find flights matching the search, and might also need to query models representing airports and airlines to find related secondary data”. The controller might then pass some subset of the flight data to the corresponding view, which would contain a mixture of static HTML and logic that used the flight data to create an HTML document containing a table with one row per flight.
A controller may provide one or more actions. In Ruby on Rails, an action is typically a basic unit that describes how to respond to a specific external web-browser request. Also, note that the controller/action will be accessible for external web requests only if a corresponding route is mapped to it. Rails encourage developers to use RESTful routes, which include actions like: create, new, edit, update, destroy, show, and index. These mappings of incoming requests/routes to controller actions can be easily set up in the routes.RB configuration file.
CONVENTION OVER CONFIGURATION
Also known as coding by convention, this software design paradigm is used by software frameworks that attempt to decrease the number of decisions that a developer using the framework is required to make without necessarily losing flexibility. The concept was introduced by David Heinemeier Hansson to describe the philosophy of the Ruby on Rails web framework but is related to earlier ideas like the concept of “sensible defaults” and the principle of least astonishment in user interface design. The phrase essentially means a developer only needs to specify unconventional aspects of the application. For example, if there is a class called “Sales” in the model, the corresponding table in the database is called “sales” by default. It is only if one deviates from this convention, such as calling the table “product sales”, that one needs to write code regarding these names.
When the convention implemented by the tool matches the desired behavior, it behaves as expected without having to write configuration files. Only when the desired behavior deviates from the implemented convention is explicit configuration required.
The DRY principle is stated as “Every piece of knowledge must have a single, unambiguous, authoritative representation within a system” To help to maintain clean code, Rails follows the idea of DRY, an acronym for Don’t Repeat Yourself. The idea behind it is simple: whenever possible, re-use as much code as possible rather than duplicating similar code in multiple places. This reduces errors, keeps your code clean and enforces the principle of writing code once and then reusing it. This also helps lead to an API driven structure whereby internal methods are hidden and changes are achieved through passing parameters in an API fashion.
WHO USES RUBY ON RAILS
Many of the most used websites in the global platform use the Ruby on Rails language for its ability to make linear layouts that make the “view” and interface of the website approachable to many consumers throughout the world. For example, SoundCloud which is the largest digital audio sharing platform on the web due to its linear pattern is easy to follow in both web and mobile applications. Therefore, designing UI (User Interface) of an application/website becomes trivial regardless of the many added elements one needs to put into their project.
The most iconic use/release of Ruby on Rails is none other than Twitter, for it was immediately released by Jack Dorsey on to the web in 2005 without much promo or rumored development time. It was also one of the very first websites built on Ruby and Rails.
Other notable websites made on Ruby on Rails are www.airbnb.com, www.square.com, and www.groupon.com. The best thing about Ruby on Rails is a very predictable application framework and according to many sources, it is very easy to learn much less use. Most people who can use Ruby on Rails are people who have had previous web experience building websites that interact with databases, for they will be not be creating and recreating site functionality from scratch. Especially those who are concerned with best practices, web standards, and switching to work with a framework instead of writing everything from scratch all the time.
Lastly, it is perfect for people who are not afraid of the command line. With Rails, there’s going to be a lot with working on the command line, more so than PHP and ready to embrace the entire experience.
WHY RUBY ON RAILS:
- The process of programming is much faster than with other frameworks and languages, partly because of the object-oriented nature of Ruby and the vast collection of open source code available within the Rails community.
- The Rails conventions also make it easy for developers to move between different Rails projects, as each project will tend to follow the same structure and coding practices.
- Good for rapid application development (RAD), as the framework makes it easy to accommodate changes.
- Ruby code is very readable and mostly self-documenting. This increases productivity, as there is less need to write out separate documentation, making it easier for other developers to pick up existing projects.
- A strong focus on testing and have good testing frameworks.
- Rails and most of its libraries are open sources, so unlike other commercial development frameworks, there are no licensing costs involved.
POTENTIAL RAILS PROBLEMS AND LIMITATIONS AND HOW TO OVERCOME THEM:
- Not all website hosts can support Rails
While it is true that not all web hosts support Rails, this is primarily because it can be more resource intensive than PHP, a fact which deters low-end shared-hosting providers. However, this is by no means a deal-breaker, and of course, Rails-friendly hosts do exist, for example, Heroku and EngineYard.
Alternatively, you can host your Rails application on a Virtual Private Server (VPS) with Amazon EC2, Rackspace, or Linode. You will then have full control over the server and can allocate sufficient resources for your application.
- Java and PHP are more widely used, and there are more developers in these languages
The number of Ruby developers is growing year on year as more people switch to it from other programming languages. One of the main differences between the Ruby and other communities is the amount of open source code (gems) which is publicly available, as of writing there are 63,711 gems which you can use to enhance your application.
- Performance and Scalability
There have been concerns that Rails applications are not as fast as Java or C, which is true, but for the majority of applications, it is fast enough. There are plenty of high profile organizations which rely on Rails to power their sites including Airbnb, Yellow Pages, Groupon, Channel 5, and Gov.uk.
References for Ruby on Rails
- “What is Ruby on Rails?” What is Ruby on Rails? · RailsApps. RailsApps Project, n.d. Web. 21 May 2017.
- “Interview with David Heinemeier Hansson from Ruby on Rails.” MySQL :: Interview with David Heinemeier Hansson from Ruby on Rails. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 May 2017.
- “Top 15 sites built with Ruby on Rails.” Learn to Code in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 May 2017.
- “Ruby on Rails: What It Is and Why We Use It For Web Applications.” Bit Zesty. N.p., 19 Sept. 2016. Web. 21 May 2017.
- “Ruby on Rails.” ONLamp.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 May 2017.
Delivering the best Web Design & SEO Services
Local Web Design Services
If you're looking for web design, website development, a new website or wanting to revamp to an existing small business website, then you’ve come to the right place. Notably, at Visualwebz LLC we understand business owners and the website benefits your business needs. In addition, we understand that being a website owner you will want to see immediate results. Furthermore, we can help your website reach an international, national or local customer base. Besides, we know how to get your customers to you. After all, small business websites and SEO have been our specialty since 2008!
We Deliver the Best Web Services
Our website developers specialize in delivering the best websites and nothing more. More significantly, our qualifications and experience allow us to deliver clear and concise solutions. As a matter of fact, we will keep you in the loop during the whole web development process. Immediately after the launch of your website, we will work with you in improving your online presence. For example, our SEO specialists will help drive traffic to your website. With this in mind. Visualwebz LLC is the ideal firm to hire for your next project. In fact, we will also take care of your web security - remember you will need to secure your website from hackers. Similarly, other website design services offered include website maintenance, support, and website testing.
Interested in chatting to us regarding SEO or web design? Or just have questions regarding our expertise or web design costs? Then Contact us today at 425.336.0069. You may also want to check our reviews, and learn why our customers like us! After all, our 5-star reviews clearly tell prospective customers why we stand out when it comes to service, punctuality, quality, and affordability.
Resources & Links
Our Blog covers a range of services, practices, and trends in the areas of web design and SEO.
Marketing & SEO
- YouTube Marketing.
- Alternatives to Craigslist advertising.
- Ad Campaigns.
- SEO Trends 2014.
- Slow websites and ranking.
- Social Media Content.
- Essential Website Tools.
- Try our SEO Multiple Page Generator for WordPress.
Web Design & Website Development
- Website Redesign
- Local Website Developers
- Web Technologies
- Seattle WordPress Website Design
- Professional Web Design
- E-Commerce Platform
- Website Questions
- Serving USA Cities | Website Areas
- Website Services
- Left vs. Right Brain
- Looking for good hosting?
Website Design - Call (425).336.0069
Online Marketing for Small Businesses
- If your looking for website developers near you, you’ve come to the right place! We provide web services to the following areas, but not limited to Auburn, Algona, Milton, Seattle, Bellingham, WA, Des Moines, Bellevue, Issaquah, Burien, Federal Way, Olympia, Fife, WA, Maple Valley, Mill Creek, Covington, WA, Des Moines, and Seatac. Des Moines and Seatac are generally neighboring cities to Kent.
Professional Website Development & Online Marketing
- Seattle Web development includes numerous online services including SEO and online marketing. As a result, some local areas we serve include:Washington State | Auburn | Bellevue | Eastside – Bellevue | Bellevue Website Design – Local Website Firm | Bothell | Des Moines | Federal Way | Fife | Issaquah | Kent | Kirkland, WA | Lacey | Lakewood | Lynwood | Maple Valley | Mercer Island | Marysville | Mill Creek | Seatac WA | Tacoma | Tukwila | Vancouver | Everett | Spokane | Seatac | Seattle Website Design | Renton | Seatac Airport is the main port of entry into and out of Seattle by air. Notably, Visualwebz.com serves numerous businesses around Seattle. For example, Ballard – Small business in the Ballard area will no doubt benefit from our website’s services. For example, the first-page ranking will allow your website to rank well in Google. In addition, other areas in Seattle include: Belltown | Fremont | Madison Park | Capitol Hill | West Seattle | Queen Anne | Magnolia | Downtown Seattle | Seattle Website Design Services | Seattle | Northgate | Web Design Seattle Washington | Seattle Web Page Design | Small Biz Web Design
Online Marketing & SEO services nationally
Besides providing SEO and online marketing to local businesses we also provide such services to small businesses in other states. For example, local cities include Seattle, Federal Way, Issaquah, Kirkland, Lakewood, WA, Monroe, Olympia, Tacoma and Bellingham, WA.
- Albuquerque | Anaheim | Atlanta | Bakersfield | Bellevue, WA | Charlotte NC | Cleveland | Colorado Springs | Columbus Ohio | Corpus Christi | Dallas Texas | Denver Colorado | Detroit Michigan | El Paso Texas | Fort Worth Texas | Fresno | Honolulu | Jacksonville | Long Beach California | Louisville | Memphis TN | Mesa Arizona | Minneapolis | Phoenix AZ | Portland Oregon | Raleigh | Riverside, California | Sacramento | San Diego | San Jose California | Santa Anna | | Tucson | Virginia Beach | Washington DC | Seattle Washington – Issaquah, WA
Cities and States with Web Design Services :
- Oregon | Portland | Salem | Eugene
- Idaho | Boise
- New York | Brooklyn
- California: LA Website Design | San Jose | Riverside | Also, web design in Long Beach.
- Canada | Toronto | Calgary | Vancouver | Surrey B.C.
- Texas | Austin
- Indiana | Indianapolis
Visualwebz has been providing individualized web design and online marketing services since 2008. Be a simple website update or a new WordPress website design, we will deliver. In fact, we use the latest web development software.
Cities where we provide Web Design for small businesses:
A Web Design Agency that offers custom web solutions with quality in mind
We offer the best website design services and web support available to small businesses in Washington and other states. Yes, our website builder services are available to all businesses at affordable and cheap prices. After all, hiring competent web developers, website designers, WordPress Designers, and web builders will get you the results your business needs to be successful. Whether you're looking for a web agency in Seattle or a website developer? We can help. Call us at (425)-336-0069.
Every business deserves a professionally designed website
Our freelance website development services will get your business the professional presence needed! Whether it's an e-commerce website in WordPress or any other type of website, we will deliver and do exactly what you expect! Our professional web designing and online marketing experience prove to be inexpensive, effective for small businesses and professionals alike.
Our local web design services are not only available locally in Seattle, Washington,but nationally. For example local cities where we offer services in Washington include Auburn, WA | Seattle, WA | Covington | Kent | Kent, WA | Federal Way | Tacoma | Olympia | Issaquah | New Castle| Lakewood | Gig Harbor | Everett | Monroe | Mill Creek | Milton | Puyallup | Redmond | Renton | Tacoma | White Center | Vancouver | Bellingham | Seattle.
If you need a new website or just looking for some website support, reach out to us, and let us help.
Hire the best Web Design Services from Washington
With front-end and back-end experience, our customers back us up as the best web design services. In fact, how could you possibly go wrong? After all, our full stack development experience and online marketing will pave the path for your business success. Contact us today at (425)-336-0069. Just a reminder, that our services are available, but not limited to Seattle, Bellevue, WA, Tacoma, Olympia, WA, New York, L.A. and all over!
Web Developers - We're not just a Web Design Agency
Our specialties are not only in web design, but also web development and online marketing. Yes, we are the full blown agency with a one stop service. Our web development services are not just limited to the Washington area but all over. From Bellevue, Tacoma and all the way to LA, California and NY!
Web Agency with perfect solutions & great reviews
Our small business solutions are the perfect choice for any small to medium size business looking for results. Especially if you're looking to see your small business website grow via effective web design and online marketing. In fact, our Seattle web design company has assisted many businesses in and around the Puget Sound area. But, we did not finish there, we've also helped businesses in Seattle, Issaquah, Bellevue, Tacoma, New York, and California. Let our expertise help your business expand and reach new heights!
Online Marketing , SEO services available to small businesses in:
Washington SEO, SEM & Marketing Agency available in:
Algona | Auburn | Kent | Bellevue | New Castle | Bellingham | Factoria, Bellevue | Federal Way | Fife | Kent | Kirkland | Issaquah | Lakewood | Lynnwood | Mercer Island | Marysville | Mill Creek | Olympia | Redmond | Seattle | Tacoma | Kennewick | Gig Harbor | Vancouver
Our SEO packages and Online Marketing solutions are affordable and geared towards small businesses. In particular, businesses in and around Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Snohomish, Tacoma, Kent, and Factoria Bellevue, WA continue to be our loyal customers. Our SEO company and web design firm do not just make a promise but, rather carries it out to succeed. Whether you are close to home in Seattle, or elsewhere.
Our SEO services and SEO marketers focus on organic SEO for small businesses like restaurants, distributors, professionals, doctors, dentists, and attorneys/call us for a free SEO estimate at (425)-336-0069.
Digital Marketing Services
Our digital marketing services are available in Washington and other states. Locally we assist small businesses in Puyallup, Gig Harbor, Olympia, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kirkland, Seattle, Vancouver, Tacoma, and surrounding areas.
Internet Marketing Services
Our internet marketing services coupled with web design and SEO will get your small business website to the top of your search engine. We focus on local as well as larger markets. All the way from Seattle, Olympia, Maple Valley, Kirkland, Bellevue, Tacoma and states like Washington, California, and ones further out!
Organic SEO is the Perfect Solution
Yes, SEO is the right way to get your website and visible online. But, you need to hire an agency that knows what they are doing. We at Visualwebz work on guidelines set by search engines. Thus, getting positive results for our customers. Also, our SEO consultant services are not only local in Renton, Kent, Seattle, Bellevue or other areas. But reach further beyond into other states!
Online Marketing Services
Our online marketing services are not just limited to Seattle, Bellevue, Renton, Tacoma or Bellingham. But we offer services to all businesses nationally. Go ahead and contact one of the top digital marketing agencies near you. Though there are many SEO Companies to choose from we ask you to check our reviews and decide why our customers prefer and chose us.
Visualwebz is not just a top web design agency, but also recognized as a top advertising and marketing firm in Washington state.